Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hallelujah (Rufus Wainwright's version)


In case you don't know this song simply by the title, you may know it from the Dreamworks movie "Shrek". It's the background music when Fiona is human and she is getting fitted for her wedding dress for her marriage to Lord Farquad, and when Shrek goes back to his swamp and it goes between scenes of the two of them eating alone. I really like this song because you can adjust it to any key you feel comfortable singing it in and it has some good lyrics and a good message to it. I think it is a really enjoyable song and the way Rufus wainwright sings it and plays it in the movie is really well done.
As far as the lyrics go, I am not really sure what it means because I haven't really taken the time to think about them. So I guess I'll just take it verse by verse and describe what I think it means.
In the first verse it says "I heard there was a secret chord that David played and it pleased the lord, but you don't really care for music do you?" Obviously that has some Biblical references, but I think it means that the person doesn't care for the music as much as the gospel. (maybe) I don't really know the meaning behind the second verse... it's a little difficult for me to figure out. So I just take what it says literally. He saw some girl bathing and she caught him and whatnot. I don't really know. I guess the third verse kind of clears things up in this story, sort of. He's saying that he used to be different before he met her. Maybe seeing her bathing on the roof was the first time he saw her and that meeting changed him from not caring about something to her bringing him to say "Hallelujah". I guess it's kind of a love story then. Anyways, that's what I get from it. Here are the chord tabs for the song:
http://tabnabber.com/view_Tab.asp?tabID=4483&sArtist=Jeff+Buckley&sName=hallelujah

*note: if you don't know what keys to play when you see the chord names on the tab, there are pictures on the very bottom of the tabs page. Just scroll down and that should help.

No comments:

Post a Comment